Ebenezer Baptist Church

East Austin Economic Development Corporation

Serving the Austin Community Since 1875 www.thestoneofhelp.org

Home

Accolades/Congratulations

History Worship Services About the Pastor Associate Ministers
Sermons Economic Development
Mission / Background:

Ebenezer Baptist Church formed the East Austin Economic Development Corporation in 1988 to help guide the economic development aspects of the church’s mission to its community. The congregation supplied both land and money to meet the ambitious goals of service. EAEDC sought and received technical and planning expertise, grants, and loans to pursue the congregation’s goals.

The EAEDC is housed in the Marvin C. Griffin Building, named for Ebenezer’s Pastor whose vision and leadership has been central to the formulation and execution of the organization’s goals. These goals include affordable housing programs for rental and home ownership, housing counseling, down payment assistance, rental assistance, energy assistance, projects for the elderly, and statewide technical assistance to faith-based community development organizations.

The Griffin Building is at the gateway of the East Eleventh Street Corridor and Ebenezer Village. Development of the Village is the cornerstone of Marvin C. Griffin’s efforts toward “concretizing” the Gospel, a phrase he coined as he undertook the leadership and sizable task of implementing inner city revitalization. Funding for the construction of the facility in 1997 was provided via a partnership consisting of the EAEDC, Lilly Endowment, Chase Bank, the City of Austin, and Ebenezer Baptist Church.

 
Organizational Leaders :
Dr. General Marshall President, Board of Directors
Mary K.Hurst Board Member
Alfred Dotson Board Member
Robert M. Organ Board Member

Van Dyke Johnson

Project Director